Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why a potluck tea party?

I love tea! And I love tea parties! But my tea party M.O. is the potluck tea party. The story is this: I hosted a tea party for my teacher friends back in the spring of 2004 and supplied everything myself. Mini sandwiches, chcocolate-dipped trawberries, scones and lemon curd--it was quite the spread! It was a lovely event--but it was also lot of work! So much so that I said, "Never again!"
But rather than give up on hosting future tea parties, I decided to make them potlucks! BRILLIANT! Here's the ladies and myself at my last non-potluck tea party (that's me, far left)

In 2005, I threw a tea party during Spring Break. I had just found out I was pregnant--I was so excited and everything tasted SO good! I encouraged each guest to contribute a fingerfood or dessert--no forks required! And it worked! We had scones and jam, sandwiches, deviled eggs, little chocolate cakes, fruit, lemon bars and more.

It was fun to see what each lady brought and made for a nice variety of foods. We all decided that potluck tea parties were the only way to go! As the hostess, all I had to do was provide tea and the fixin's, the cups and saucers, plates, napkins and a place to put all the food! Since it was a potluck, it was more casual than some tea parties, so rather than assigned seating, everyone filled thier plates, fixed their cup of tea and chose a seat anywhere in my home's living area. The ladies were encouraged to make multiple trips to the buffet, and to taste-test as many teas as they wanted. Don't we look happy?? (that's me in the hat, glowing):

Then it became a tradition! In 2006, I hosted a Valentine's Day tea party and asked guests to bring something "festive." Aren't these cookies my friend made amazing??

When two gals asked me what they should bring, I answered, "Something that isn't sweet," since the tendancy is to bring dessert-type items. I suggested finger sandwiches or fruit. Here's the spread from that year:

In this fast-paced world, my favorite part about hosting is bringing women together to share a relaxing, fun time, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. This particular year, two former co-workers of mine came all the way across town to attend, and to meet my son. Here we are together. I'm standing, right, and that's my mom holding my son, who was 3 months old at the time.

In 2007, the tradition continued! I hosted my second Valentine's Day Potluck Tea Party. Here's my sister-in-law, eyeing her choices:

I made a "cool veggie pizza" that was a hit.

After finishing up a class at church this past October, I celebrated with my first Fall Potluck Tea Party! This was the spread. We did have two varieties of scones and two platters of deviled eggs--but that's the chance you take! And, of course, it worked out fine.

I always tell my guests to "feel free to dress up," and I encourage them to wear a hat. Some do--some don't. I always dress the part, however! Here's me, far right, with two tea party guests:

Of course, I'm now in the throes of planning this year's Valentine's Day party. I'll post more on that soon.
And there you have it! Now, I make virtually every event I host a potluck! People like contributing and it certainly cuts down on my stress--and allows me to enjoy the party more!
I hope you got some good ideas--leave a comment if you'd like!

No comments: