Friday, January 25, 2008

Collecting for my Valentine's Day Tea

Yes, I am now in the throes of planning my 3rd Annual Valentine's Day Tea Party! It's a "Mad Hatter" theme and requires guests to wear a hat! My main motivation for the Mad Hatter theme was three fold:
1. So I could require hats to be worn!
2. So everything didn't have to be so serious and matchy-matchy. I like mixing and matching plates, napkins, flowers, etc. It's more fun!
3. So I'd have an excuse to have it outside. I love being outside but have always been hesitant to host anything in our yard. Now I've got to get over it!
Our yard leaves much to be desired--more toddler-friendly than anything else and we've got some dead bushes out there, a lot of rocks and little else!! We do have nice views of lush yards and the park, though. I'm just going to have to make the most of it!
These photos have become my inspiration. "Whimsical" is the feel I'm going for--and definitely colorful!!


This is the actual Alice in Wonderland Mad Hatter Tea Party scene from the Disney movie--isn't it enchanting?? I love it!

Based on these ideas, my first order was for paper Chinese lanterns to hang from the porch roof in two shades of pink, yellow, and turquoise.


Here's my party favors, which will also be the place card holders--but she's making them in black and white stripes and polka dots with colored ribbon.

Here's what's on my shopping list:
1. polka dot or striped taper candles
2. huge, colorful flowers (probably giant gerber daisies in bright colors)
3. hot pink table cloths
4. a giant cup and saucer
5. lots of polka dot ribbon
And I'm still gathering ideas for how to transform my porch into a magical, festive space--with a limited budget!
I'll keep you posted on my progress.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Hi! I came across your blog while googling giant tea cup and saucer. You have a nice blog, I've added it to my googlereader. When you say "4. a giant cup and saucer" do you mean a giant cup and saucer to use as a centerpiece? If so where did you/will you purchase it from? I would love to have one to use on my kitchen counter as a fruit bowl and I can't find one anywhere. Thanks so much!